Mental health is the most discussed issue nowadays. People have realized that besides physical well-being, mental well-being is also important. Most of our body functions directly or indirectly depend on our mental well-being. Mental well-being is important at all ages from adolescence to adulthood. It includes our emotional, social as well as psychological health. It depends on how we perceive every matter. Speaking of social taboos, mental health issue was considered as one of the prohibited issues to discuss. Psychological as well as emotional well-being was not considered as important. However, after 50 years the time has changed, now people are more inclusive about such issues. They have realized that mental well-being will be somehow affecting our lives.
What are the Causes of Mental Health Issues?
Many factors cause mental issues. Some of them are as follows:
Biological factors: it includes the genetic makeup of a person and nervous disorders.
Social Factors: It includes troublesome social circle, inappropriate environment and insecurities.
Psychological and Emotional factors: It includes social-emotional issues, traumas or abuse.
How to recognize Mental Illness?
Mental health issues are difficult to recognize. There are many complicated symptoms to it. Thus, Some of the symptoms by which we can easily identify any mental issue are:
- Sudden mood swings
- Irregular sharp headaches
- Sleep disorders
- Back pain
- Pain in eyes
- Memory loss
- Increased blood pressure
- Decrease concentration and focus on work
- Smoking or drug addiction
- Having eating disorders
- Various skin issues
- Hair loss or hair fall
- Either obesity or weight loss
- Short temperament
- Avoiding socialization
- Numbness and paralysis
How Mental Health Affects Physical Health?
Physical health is directly related to mental health because mental issues make our body prone to every other disease. Stress and depression primarily disturb mental health. Stress is an inevitable state which can be prevented by making small changes to the psychological and emotional health. The direct impacts of mental health on physical health are:
- It causes severe back pain and weakening of the lower back.
- The mental disorder causes severe pain in hindbrain and forebrain. When a person is mentally disturbed, the capillaries in the brain constrict. It also disturbs the electrical conductivity of the neurons. This nervous system becomes disturbed. Also, the risk of haemorrhage.
- Mental illness can also lead to stomach disorder. Impartial digestion, gastric issues and blotting are some common disorders caused by mental illness.
- Sleep cycle also gets disturbed because of mental illness whereas sleep in return affects psychological and brain health. This aggravates aggression, cardiovascular, blood pressure and diabetic issues.
- In severe cases, mental illness can lead to nervous breakdown and paralysis.
- Women who are mentally disturbed have interrupted and disturbed mensural cycle. Because mental illness causes hormonal imbalance which aggravates further complications.
How Mental Health Issues can be Prevented?
Mental health issues can be prevented by taking small measures
- Discuss the thing which is bothering you with your friends or loved ones.
- Develop confidence in yourself. Have belief that whatever comes to you, you have to face it with courage and valour.
- Take care of your diet and eat healthy food.
- Exercise regularly. Try yoga for mental health. (Click here to see yoga for mental health)
- Connect to Nature while appreciating every other beauty of nature.
- Read motivational books and speakers.
- Take a sound sleep of 8-9 hours.
- Help others and try to alleviate their problems.
- Socialize more with good people.
- Leave that company which exerts pressure on your psychological and mental well-being.
- Go to adventures. Explore new places.
- Renovate your home. Change the interior. Try rejuvenating colours.
- Pray to God. Revert to God. Express your love for Him.
- Help poor and helpless people. This will make you feel privileged and blessed.
- In case of severe mental illness consult your doctor.
Why Mental Health Awareness is Important?
Mental health awareness is important for identification of any mental disorder because the mental state is something not so obvious. Every year on 10th October, World Mental Day is celebrated. The purpose of this mental awareness is to change the mindset of people about mental illness. This mental awareness is important for making our society peaceful by bringing up better humans. Try to understand people around you. If anyone is not feeling well then give them space and Comfort them. Make them realize that you are there to help them out. Thus, mental health is a delicate matter to handle.